Four talented African school girls have shocked visitors by creating a urine-powered generator at the fourth annual Maker Faire Africa in Lagos. By using the commonlly resource that everyone has, these ingenious teenagers created a eco-generator that produces 6 hours of power for only one liter of pee.
All of this teenagers are very young. Three of them are only fourteen-year-olds, they are Duro-Aina Adebola, Akindele Abiola, and Faleke Oluwatoyin. The other girl is Fifteen-year-old Bello Eniola.
Here’s how it works:
- Urine is put into an electrolytic cell, which separates out nitrogen, water, and hydrogen.
- The hydrogen is pushed into a water filter for purification, then it goes into the gas cylinder.
- The gas cylinder pushes hydrogen into a cylinder of liquid borax, which is used to remove the moisture from the hydrogen gas.
- This purified hydrogen gas is pushed into the generator.
- 1 Liter of urine can provide people 6 hours of electricity.
It became one of the more unexpected products at this event. however, it still have some problem of safety. No matter how widely it can be sold, it is still a good experiment for these four girls.